The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends a firm, flat sleep surface for your baby. A crib, portable crib, bassinet, or play yard that follows the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is recommended. The mattress should be covered by a tightly fitted sheet with no other bedding or soft items in the sleep area.
When using a crib, portable crib, bassinet, or play yard, it is recommended that you:
- Check CPSC’s recall list to make sure that it has not been recalled.
- Set it up according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Check it often to make sure all the hardware is secured tightly and that no parts are damaged, loose or missing.
- Make sure the sheet isn’t too tight. The sheet should not cause the edges of the mattress to curl or pull up. If you have difficulty finding a sheet that fits properly, contact the manufacturer.
- Use the correct mattress and check its fit regularly.
You can find more information on the CPSC Safe to Sleep® Crib Information Center.